Friday, May 15, 2015

7 tips for a happier you

I know, I know... those who know me are giggling behind their hands over how amusing it is that I of all people would write a blog about happiness, as if I am ever in a pleasant mood (bah humbug). But I'll give it a shot! After all, I am about to hit the 4,000 milestone for views on this here blog which is pretty record breaking for me! I should celebrate with wine, strawberries, chocolates, and a blog post.

Sadly, I am at the factory writing this on my breaks so everything on that list except the blog post is currently not feasible. Oh, I know. Why shouldn't I operate my press while drinking wine? It's not like I need to be safe, right?

So, here's a list of 7 things for a happier you!

1. Wear make up to work. Why, you ask? Well, why not!? It's your face. You can do what you want to it! Nice try, claiming your masculinity as argument not to... Make up is inanimate. It won't judge you!

2. Make the choice not to wear make up for a few days! Spend those 5 minutes, ten minutes, thirty minutes, two hours, doing something else! Sleep in, make a bowl of oats to go with your eggs and bacon, or bring in a load of firewood for the fireplace you dream of someday having, but you probably still want to shower. I mean, you don't typically notice your own smell, but it's never bad to have good hygiene.

3. Exercise. Even that word is tiring and makes me want to nap. But you know what? After exercising for 5, 10, or 15 minutes, I sit down and wonder who gave me the crazy bug. After a little while, however, the pain eases and the stress trickles away. It always feels good to have accomplished the exercises then, even if I did my push ups next to a ton of shoes that I don't wear anymore. (But I assure you, they're gorgeous shoes.)

4. Eat onions. Eat brown beans. Eat mushrooms. Eat hot sauce. Eat whatever it is you enjoy eating and don't let anyone judge you or make you feel bad about it! Bad breath or tooting aside, you shouldn't limit yourself! And the odds are quite good for passing the beans.

5. Smile more. I don't care who you are, what race or gender you are... smiling is infectious. Happiness is contagious. People like happy people, and they're going to pass on that contagion after leaving you. If you're grumpy, they're going to feel uncomfortable too. There's nothing wrong with spreading a bit of cheer.

6. Say hello and strike up a conversation with someone you don't really know in the coffee shop. What's a 3 or 4 minute conversation about the weather going to do while you wait for the barista to make your complicated extra whip decaffeinated whole milk mocha chai latte? You won't know unless you try!

7. Go out of your box. That's right... leave your comfort zone once in a while. People do it every day! You can too! Try a new menu item. Try a new cappuccino. I promise it will feel good even if you only decide the last drink was better.

Bonus:

The eighth happiness...
8!!! Make up your resume fresh and new. No one is fully satisfied with their work. Having a resume on hand is a great relief to have.

Do you agree?  Disagree? Let me know your thoughts below!! I really want to know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment