Saturday, May 16, 2015

Food Review Saturday - Gallagher's in Downtown Ripon, Wisconsin

Well, you know how I like to blather on about things... And you know how I like to eat (or at least you know now, anyway!). So, I thought to myself as I sat down to food at Gallagher's restaurant, "Why don't I rant about food?" It isn't like the topic will ever die out, you know? So in light of that, I've decided on a new Food Review Saturday, where I will try new food and then come here and talk about it.

Today's choice was Gallagher's restaurant in downtown Ripon, Wisconsin. They're located at 333 Watson Street, Ripon, Wisconsin, 54971 (just in case you need to GPS it after you read about them here). And for those who use Facebook, click here to see their Facebook page! Google+ users can click here for their Google+ page!

Two employees at Gallagher's hold up a menu.
Thank you to the owner and employees for letting me take photos!
I've been to Gallagher's once before with my mum soon after it opened, but at that time I was more focused on the company I was with than actually thinking about what I was eating. This time, I made my decision before eating.

Gallagher's is a lovely restaurant with a contemporary decor that gives it an appeal that is both casual and fancy. I've been to restaurants that have tried to achieve the balanced blend of casual and fancy but normally it is very jarring. Gallagher's actually managed to achieve the perfect blend, so even being there on my own I felt comfortable. Good job, Gallagher's! That fact alone made me happy. I always like to eat, and I will lose my ambition to cook faster than a snap of the fingers so if I had to find someone to go with me to a restaurant every time... I'd probably settle with potato chips and a Korean drama on Netflix instead. I do like food, but sometimes... I just want to eat without conversation.

I walked in to Gallagher's and I'll be very honest... I didn't wait to be seated even though there's a sign that says to wait. I knew I was going to want to have a seat with a view of the entire restaurant and so I took the seat that afforded me the best opportunity to watch, and also the seat that put me at the greatest ease for asking for the restaurant owner when I was done. (I wanted to ask to take pictures of the restaurant...)

So, my very nice server approached. She was a bundle of smiles. Her personality was great. She didn't even bat an eye at my request for a lemon in my water. One thing I noticed about Gallagher's was the pleasant atmosphere provided by the servers. It isn't something you actually notice unless it is a bad atmosphere and at that point, you'll grumble for days about how negative your server was, and you'll tell everyone about them, the restaurant, the food...

But it wasn't just my server who was pleasant. I watched the various people going back and forth as they did their work. Smiles, giggles... they talked warmly to each other, but they didn't let the conversation affect their work. My server continued to see how I was doing and if there was anything I needed. Awesome.

Teriyaki Chicken sandwich
This came with 3 pickle slices,
and a choice of fries or chips
I know how awesome that looks, but believe me when I say it tastes better than it looks! So, at first when I was placing my order, I did my usual... "What's this?" and she offered to find out what she didn't already know... And then I pulled a 180 and decided on the Teriyaki Chicken sandwich.

I could not have been happier! It was so good. Service was fast at making my sandwich, and the chips are amazing! They aren't mass produced Lays brand potato chips. They make their chips. My one complaint about the sandwich entree was the pickles. I'm not a pickle person, so don't take me to heart over this. But if you like pickles, they're very... uh... pickle-y? I guess that could be the word for it.

The chicken on the sandwich is glazed in a Teriyaki sauce, and then complimented with a warmly grilled pineapple that sweetens the Teriyaki sauce. Lettuce gave the sandwich a bit of a crunch, and the finishing touch was really the Brioche roll (which was also grilled, by the way, just in case you wanted juicy details!). The Teriyaki mayo certainly didn't cause complaints in my book either.


Loaded Potato Skins...
These are amazing and highly recommended
I just need a bigger stomach

Next, I got an appetizer, because there's no reason to eat the appetizer first. I got the Loaded Potato Skins... They're basically half-inch thick slices of the outsides of potatoes with your favorite baked potato fixings: sour cream, cheese, scallions, and bacon bits (but the real bacon bits, not the fake salad kinds that break your teeth or get stuck in your cavities).

So, now that I've talked about all that, I guess you're probably wondering what this place costs? $20 per person? $30 per person? You're way off. I got a coke, an appetizer (which was big enough to be an entree in my book), and an entree (which could feed two people). Total bill... $16 dollars. Fine, yet casual cuisine that isn't about to leave a proximity bomb on your bank account. It's a great restaurant for a first date, an engagement party, or a meal for teenagers on their way to prom night. Why spend $16 at Burger King or McDonald's when you can enjoy a dining experience that doesn't come complete with spilled soda skudge on the floors? Their sandwich entrees run from 6 to 9 dollars depending on what you get. Appetizers vary from 3 to 7 dollars.

Okay, so we talked about the service (spectacular), the food (delectable), and the price (reasonable)...

You're wondering... "What's the catch? There's gotta be a catch..."

Sadly, there is. Drum roll please... They serve coke products. I'm not a fan. But you know me... I prefer weird drinks from around the world over coke or pepsi products, so basically I'm just looking for something to complain about!

Of course, if I had the option to improve the drink choice, I'd have them add drinks like Mr. Q. Cumber (a soda that is cucumber flavor) or JOIA Sparkling Grapefruit Chamomile & Cardamom beverage. I believe both of those drinks would have gone better with my Teriyaki Chicken sandwich, but even still, tonight was very satisfying.


Are you wondering when they're open?
Tuesday - Saturday......7 AM to 9:30 PM
Sunday.........................7 AM to 3:00 PM
(CLOSED MONDAYS)
They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is a restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages, and from what I understand, they have coffee too.

Well, I hope this is suitably helpful! Let me know what you think in the comments below. Did you go to Gallagher's? Did you have an experience there you would like to share? Feel free to let me know below!

No comments:

Post a Comment